Think you know a thing or two about Google? We sure do, but even we didn’t know most of these 10 facts about Google. Prepare to be blown away!
1. 16% of Google’s daily searches are ones Google has not seen before
Out of all the searches that have been made since Google was released in 1998, to this day, 16% of the 3.5 billion searches made per day have never been searched.
2. If you search askew on Google, the content will slant to the right
Don’t worry. Your computer monitor isn’t faulty when you search “askew” Google has just tilted the results of your search. This is a hidden trick that you can do, just for fun.
3. Google hired a camel to create a street view of the dessert
Rather than having a vehicle rummage through the tough terrain of the UAE dessert, google hired a 10-year-old camel named Raffia with a 360-degree camera on its back to capture the images for Google street view. Perfectly suited for the job we say!
4. Every minute 2 million searches are made on Google
Worldwide an estimated 2 million people are Google searching something. This crazy figure makes you wonder what we would do without Google.
5. Google is the most visited website in the world
Facebook? Twitter? Bow down. Google is the most visited website in the world followed by YouTube.
6. Google went down for 5 minutes in August 2013 and in that time, the global Internet traffic dropped by 40%
The world went into SHOCK in 2013, on a late Friday afternoon when Google went down for 5 minutes! (Although you probably didn’t notice). During this period the global internet traffic dropped by 40%.
7. If you search for “atari breakout” in Google Images, you can play the game
My high score is 1347. We challenge you.
8. Google has the largest network of translators in the world
As you can imagine it takes a large army of translators to be able to make a tool such as Google translate, which offers translations in over 50 languages.
9. The total size of Google Earth’s database is over 20 petabytes
Now that’s a word you don’t hear everyday. To put this into perspective there are 1,000,000 gigabytes in one petabyte!
10. Google was first named “backrub” in 1996
In 1996 Larry and Sergey named what was to become Google “backrub”. Just imagine, “Can you backrub search this for me please?” thankfully this name was changed to Google which was a play on the word “googol” 1 year later in 1997.